- Cook the rice.
- Make the crispy onions.
- Make the herby sauce.
- Cook the mushrooms.
- Add everything to the pan.
- Fry the halloumi.
- Serve up and enjoy.
- Test the oil is hot enough before adding all the onions into the pan. We find the best way is to throw in a small piece of onion first; it should sizzle vigorously.
- Butter burns if cooked on high heat for too long. That's why it's best to finish the mushrooms in butter, cooking them first in olive oil.
- We used a mix of portobello mushrooms and button mushrooms, if you can find other mushrooms such as oyster, tear them into bite-size pieces before frying.
- We used a deodorized coconut oil to fry our onions as it is a great oil to use for high heat as it has a high smoke pointing.
Meal prep guide - if you followed the meal prep guide you would have already made the herby yoghurt dressing.
This recipe serves four, if you’re cooking for two, simply halve the recipe.