- Cook the onion, ginger, chilli and garlic;
- Add the spices.
- Add the diced potatoes.
- Add the lentils, stock and butter; simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas and spinach; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of yoghurt, fresh herbs and chilli.
- Frying the spices in oil, also known as blooming, intensifies the overall flavour of the dish, by infusing their flavour into the oil and the entire dish.
- We like to add the spices after we have sautéed the aromatics, as we don't want the spices to burn. Burnt spices taste bitter and will tarnish the dish.
This recipe serves four, if you are cooking for two simply halve the recipe.