Vegan Laksa with Crispy Tofu
Vegan Laksa with Crispy Tofu
Mushrooms are adaptogens which means they help our bodies deal with physical, chemical and biological stressors. They can have a profound effect on our overall health, such as our immunity, energy levels, physical performance and cognitive function.
Mother Made have kindly given us a 15% discount for you to use on their online store. Simply enter the code 'mushlove' at checkout.
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp red curry paste
- 1 Tbsp ginger
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 400ml coconut milk
- 4 tsp mothermade PM blend
- 1 Tbsp Tamari or soy sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 pack of bok choy
- 100g rice noodles
- 300g extra firm tofu
- 2-3 Tbsp cornflour
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 1/3 cucumber (finely sliced)
- 1/2 cup coriander
- 1/4 cup dry roasted cashews
- 1/2 fresh chili
- Start by ‘pressing’ the tofu, place the tofu between two paper towels with a chopping board on the bottom. Place something heavy on top to draw the moisture out of the tofu for 15 minutes.
- Cut the tofu into cubes and dust with a little cornflour.
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat and fry the tofu for 2 minutes either side until golden brown. Season with salt and set aside ready to top laksa.
- In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add the red curry paste and ginger, stir until it becomes fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, coconut milk and Mother Made mushrooms. Bring to the boil before turning down to a gentle simmer. Pop the lid on and allow to simmer away for 15-20 minutes.
- Cook noodles as per packet instructions, once cooked set aside ready to be plated.
- Prepare the garnishes.
- Remove the lid and add lime juice and tamari, stir through and adjust to preference. Add bok choy and cook for 1 - 2 minutes before serving.
- Divide the cooked rice noodles among bowls, ladle over the soup and top with crispy tofu and the garnishes prepared earlier.
- Change up veggies to whatever you have on hand or feel like, green beans are delicious as well as eggplant and broccolini. (note cooking times of each vegetables will change)
Making your own curry paste is super easy, just throw your ingredients into a blender to form a paste. It freezes well so if you make extra, freeze in an ice cube tray, perfect for portioning out.
The recipe below is the right portion for a curry that serves 4.
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red chilli
- 1 small shallot
- 1 inch piece of turmeric
- 1 x thumb sized piece of ginger
- 1 stalk of lemongrass
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp fish sauce or tamari
- Add all the ingredients to a blender, blend until a paste is formed. *If you are finding it hard to blend the ingredients, add 1 Tbsp of coconut oil.
- Taste the Laksa after simmering for 15 minutes. If it is to spicy add a little sweetener like coconut sugar. If you laksa needs more spice or flavour heat some coconut oil in a seperate saucepan add a little curry paste, cook for 2 minutes before adding to the curry.
Subscribe to our newsletter for recipes, tips, and inspiration delivered to your inbox.
Thank you! Your are now subscribed.
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.